Good day to you my Art loving aficionados,
What with the recent campaign in Australia “Are you OK?” highlighting the importance of taking the time to check in with colleagues, friends or family on how their wellness truly is, providing incredible advice and steps on what to do if someone close to you is NOT OK, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to interview my wonderful friend Nicole, who recently hosted a not to be missed event entitled “The Art of War against Domestic Violence”.
1) Hi Nicole, thanks so much for agreeing to do this interview. For those of my readers who are unfamiliar with your company, could you briefly explain what the name is and what your recent event consisted of?
Hi Keya. Thank you for having me. My company is called NHS Events which I have created by using the initials of my name, Nicole Haylee Stokes. My first and recent event was called ‘The Art of War – Against Domestic Violence’. I would describe it as an art exhibition with a twist. Artwork was raffled off to ticket holders during the night and money was raised and donated to Charity, ‘Friends with Dignity’, who assist those who are affected by domestic violence.
2) Have you always had an interest in events planning and what made you decide to plan your first event this year?
I certainly have, but mainly just family events. It was back in 2015 when I was travelling around Canada that I decided to create my own company and started brainstorming my first event.
3) What were the highlights of planning this event?
I think the biggest highlight was actually meeting and speaking to the talented artists, who were so generous in donating their artwork for the event. I loved seeing the variety of art produced by each person. I also loved seeing the emails pop up when someone purchased their tickets to the event.
4) What were the most challenging aspects?
The most challenging aspect was that I also worked full time whilst organising the event. Advertising was also challenging for me, especially with a tight budget.
5) How do you fit your events planning around your full time job (you are seriously a super woman)
Thank you 🙂 There were definitely a LOT of late nights. I have amazing friends and family who supported and encouraged me daily which helped me get through those late nights. I am also very fortunate to have an amazing sister who helped me out with graphic design and social media.
6) Are you already thinking about the next event you would like to host in the future?
It’s been so nice having a break after my first event, but yes, I am certainly brainstorming my next idea. I am thinking masquerade with a twist. But who knows, that might change😉
7) What advice would you give to either a budding events planner or someone who generally wants to embark on a new career?
Research, research, research. Definitely take the time to speak to someone who is involved in the career you wish to chase and ask as many questions as you can. And that it’s OK to have doubts, I had many, but pick yourself up and keep going. The end result is worth it.
8) What are your favourite hobbies outside of work?
I try and get outdoors and explore new areas of Brisbane City, taking road trips to the coast to go to the beach, watching live music and I love gardening.
9) If anyone would like to get in contact with you in regards to up coming events or to use your services, what are the best ways for them to get in touch with you?
They can contact me via email or on social media (see below):
Thanks so much for this insightful and interesting interview Nicole. Just as a little bit of fun to complete our chat today here is a quick fire round. The number one rule is pick the first thing that springs to mind:-
Quick fire round
Sweet or savoury? Sweet
Hot or cold vacation? Hot
Bright or neutral colour palette in your wardrobe? Neutral
Heels or flats? Flats
Log fire or day at the beach? Beach
Festivals or Concerts? Concerts
babies or animals? Animals
Internet or reading a proper book? Reading a book
If you could describe yourself in 5 words, what would they be? Shy, Quiet, Organised, Loyal & Awesome 😉
And with that super final answer, I am signing off with Nicole and this post for another month.
Until next time, take care